Friday, March 22, 2024

Homestead Happenings




It's Friday and time to share what's going on 
around our Piedmont Homestead.
Spring has definitely arrived,
and we have color popping up all over!
These purple irises have never looked better.


Something I've wanted for a while now,
is a pulley system for drying clothes.
I had been using a whirly-gig type,
which worked fine,
but as I get older, I am looking to
streamline chores and make things easier on myself.
What a thrill it was to use it for the first time!
What can I say?  I find joy in the everyday.


These lovely blue pots had contained our blueberries.
They had been relocated to this area,
after a disappointing harvest a few years ago.
Unfortunately, the move didn't help.


I decided to again try growing in the ground,
in a different location.
When I pulled up the plants,
none of them had much root development.
No wonder we didn't get any fruit.


Back into the ground they go,
this time right on the outside of the new chicken run.
I placed wire cages around them,
because I noticed Betty eating the flowers off of the stems.
Ugh.
I'm hoping that the fertilizer from the chooks
will aid in healthier plants.
I also added tons of organic material
collected from the recent cleanup of our woods.
The pine needles and leaf mulch should benefit them.
Time will tell.


The strawberries have been replanted
in the round Birdie's bed,
after redesigning the garden layout.
It was promptly fertilized with 10-10-10.
I’ll need to come up with an idea
to keep the squirrels out of this container.
I'm thinking of adding more strawberries to another bed as well.


The potato cages were placed inside this silver metal bed.
This will be a flex-bed, changing out crops as needed.


The other silver bed was placed between the two tall Birdie beds.
The plan is to sow herbs here,
or maybe designate it as a tea garden.


As each bed is moved to its new location,
hardware cloth is added to the bottom,
to deter critters (read squirrels), from digging up from below.
Before the soil is added,
the irrigation needs to be fed up into the side of the bed,
to offer a more efficient watering system.


The bottoms of the taller beds will be filled with
logs, branches, twigs and a layer of shredded leaves
before the soil is added.
We have plenty of wood piles to clean up around the homestead.
This takes up some of the cavernous space in the bed,
and saves on soil costs.
These deep beds are great for root crops,
but the height actually makes it easier for harvesting at waist level.


These two are enjoying their time together.
Betty (left) and Queenie (right) have become best buds.
They spend their days (and nights) together,
and can often be found sitting side-by-side sunbathing.
In fact, I'd say that Betty's balance issues
have become almost non-existent due to Queenie.
Friendship can be a great healer.


And, believe it or not,
she has started laying eggs again.
It's been months since she's offered us anything,
but now she is laying quite regularly.
Just shows you what a little love and understanding will do for a body.


These leeks that were started from seed that a friend shared,
are jumping out of their winter sowing containers.
I've never had such good germination of leeks.


Just look at the root development!
These beauties were transplanted into pots
and left to grow on before placing in beds.
Up ahead-leek soup!
My French momma would be proud.


The front garden is coming along.
I've been working on this over the last year,
adding some much-needed evergreen interest here.
It's still a work in progress,
but I'm feeling very contented with our movement forward.


What a treat to once again have fresh picked flowers
to bring into the house.
No doubt there will be plenty more
throughout the growing season.
I'm not sure why,
but I'm feeling a renewed sense of stewardship 
that I've never really felt before.
Things are coming together in a most
extraordinary way,
and it's such a blessing.

What's happening at your homestead 
on this fine spring day?

6 comments:

  1. I love my pulley clothesline! I used to have one of those umbrella types too, which has it's place, but I like the pulley line much better. So many great things going on at your place. Spring is the best time of year (I say now, until autumn ushers in its relief from the heat). Nice to see Queenie doing so well. Lovely that she has Betty and the two are such good friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The clothesline somehow connects me to my family's past. I think of my momma often when I use it.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. What a gorgeous color of irises! I have yet to see any buds on ours. I love a clothesline in any form. I can imagine your pulley one will save you some steps. I hadn't known of squirrels digging from underneath. Man, what pesky critters they are! Yay for Betty's improvement, and laying again too! Flowers from the yard are such a hopeful thing. Wishing you a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The irises are such a treat. Those squirrels are clever rascals. We have a love/not so love relationship. ;0D

      Delete
  3. Oh the Iris are so pretty, they’re one of my favorite flowers. Glad you like your pulley clothesline, I’ve had one for years and it just makes everything so much easier! I know what you mean about stewardship - living in an old house I feel like I owe it to love it and take care of it. If money were no object, I’d be doing much more - but, like everyone, I do what I can do. And you’re right about the land - I’m not sure how to describe it, respect? But I understand what you mean. It’s good to hear someone else feels like I do. You’re doing an amazing job-we can see there’s lots of hard work going on there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I so look forward to the iris each spring. We have more bulbs popping up each year.
    I understand how you feel about your old house. We are tending these homesteads for the next family so that they can make great memories. Always good to see you here.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!