Friday, March 8, 2024

Homestead Happenings




Big changes are happening on our homestead,
as signs of spring emerge.
These sweet lil’ crocus blooms are a sure predictor
of the changes ahead.


The winter sowing continues to give us ample opportunity 
to celebrate the abundance in the garden.


These lettuce starts were ready for more space,
so they were transplanted into small (repurposed) pots.
The roots were fairly strong,


so they were planted in a light potting soil,
mixed with vermiculite and perlite.


As you can see, we have no shortage of transplants.
This batch includes chamomile, kale, 
leeks, and lettuces.
More starts will be transferred this weekend.


The sweet potato slips are starting
to take off.
A bit of light from this east facing window
and topping off the water in the can
is all that is required.
Several cans line the windowsill.


Two new Birdie beds are being added to the garden this season,
although their final placement is not yet secure.
They've been assembled, so they will soon be ready to grow.
These are the first tall beds I’m trying.
The bottom 2/3 will be filled with logs,
branches, twigs and leaves, before the soil is added.


The potatoes we planted in cages a few weeks ago
are finally sprouting.
We used some spuds from last fall's harvest.
We will be adding hardware cloth underneath the potato cages, 
as well as under beds and plantings, 
due to a recently discovered pesky problem.



I’m fairly certain these are vole holes.
They are covering most of the area around our drain field.
We’ve had a few holes from time to time,
but it looks like they are moving in!
Still researching organic ways to discourage them,
but we’re starting with garlic or coffee grounds in the holes.
The scent is supposed to repel them. 
We’ll see.


Last week, two elderberry trees got moved.
They had been on the northeast side of the property,
and were leaning to reach the sun.
Hopefully, they’ll enjoy their new spot.


We sowed alyssum seeds as a border
all along the front flower bed,
and I noticed yesterday that they are emerging.
Thank you rain!
Nasturtiums were also placed here.



The freshly harvested broccoli has been relished.
The side shoots are so tender and barely need steaming.


Daffodils are popping up all over the neighborhood,
including in our pollinator bed.
I also see tulips coming up,
and the candytuft just rocks on!



The other morning,
Big K noticed this squirrel on the back deck.
It is consuming a camellia flower.
Who knew?


A friend recently wanted to make room 
in her gorgeous garden for some new plants,
and asked me if I wanted her hydrangeas.
Uh...yeah!
They've been living in our landscape for
nearly a month now,
and the new growth has started!
I'm so excited, because when I lived in Florida,
I always envied folks who had these plants.
Further south, they don't grow well
because there is not enough cold through the winter.
What a blessing!


A batch of vanilla was put together.
It was overdo,
as I try to make it at the start of the new year.
It’s so simple,
and the bonus is that I was able to add the vanilla bean trimmings 
to the basket of my percolator.
It adds a mellow flavor to my morning Joe.


There are other new developments to report,
but I think those will have to wait for another post.
Wishing you peace and prosperity on your homestead.


10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It's been a lovely winter! Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. So many exciting things going on. This is my favorite time of year! Your lettuce starts look great. And I love your daffodils and crocuses. I wish crocuses would grow in Florida! I bet your elderberries are going to look great in their new spot. Elderberries are such cool plants. Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm hoping to have enough elderberry to make my own syrup. Good to see you here, Leslie!

      Delete
  3. Wow, you've had lots going on! Everything is looking fantastic. That's a beautiful crocus. Wishing you a year of bountiful food and beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are enjoying each whisper of spring. Hope your weekend is fruitful.

      Delete
  4. You mean you separate out all those little seedlings an plant them separately??? You're a better gardener than I! I tend to plant them in the smallest clumps I can manage, and then thin later.

    Great post with lovely photos. Nice to see your homestead is thriving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's cathartic for me, Leigh. I find it very relaxing. But then again, I don't mind pulling weeds either. ;0)

      Delete
  5. Look at all that gardening in progress - in March! I'm so jealous! I put out few to try winter sowing, and then it snowed. What luck - that's just what I can't figure out, I should have moved things insides when "the experts" think it may snow. Oh well, try, try, again. Love the Birdie beds - they look great! The only 2 cents I can pass on is that I used an old feed trough as a planter - big and deep, so I also put old upside-down flower pots in the bottom to take up room, then sticks, etc. Still the dirt found a way to sneak to the bottom. I'll need to rework this year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's the beauty of the winter sowing. The containers can be left out in the snow, as long as the covers are on. Hope you'll keep trying.
    Thank you for the suggestion.
    Hope your weather becomes more springlike every day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!