Friday, March 29, 2024

Homestead Happenings

 

It's time for Homestead Happenings,
where we share what's been going on 
here on our Piedmont homestead.
More cut flowers this week included some gorgeous
multi petaled tulips in various shades.
This vessel was actually the milk pitcher
my mom transferred over from the milk bottles
that were delivered to our back porch when I was a wee one.
One of the few childhood treasures I ended up with.


We did it!
We expanded our family and picked up a few
Olive Egger chicks!
It's so exciting having young energy in the house.
They are the softest creatures I have ever felt.
What a blessing to be able to nurture new life.


The unused spa tub is being used as a brooder.
They are not too loud as they cheep and peep,
so they don't keep Big K up at night.
I was wondering if his snoring would keep them awake!


Our hummer feeders have been washed and scrubbed
and will be ready for the first day of April
to start taking care of our feathered friends.
A neighbor had given me the little cleaning kit,
which comes with tiny bottle brushes to clean the ports.
It also came with extra ports so they can be replaced as needed.



We are swimming in seedlings,
which I have to admit,
is a nice place to be.
I've never before had so much success with starting seeds.
Thanks to the winter sowing method.
there are plenty for us and more to give away!

red kale

speckled Amish butter lettuce

leeks



More of the winter sowing seedlings
were transplanted yesterday into larger cell packs.
The root system is absolutely fabulous,
and I'm hoping they continue to thrive in their new pots.


The soil recipe I'm using came from a good friend
and fellow Master Gardener.
She uses organic topsoil mixed with perlite
and vermiculite.
Peat moss is never used here,
as it is not a sustainable resource.
This combination seems to work well,
and we have a local supplier for the topsoil 
literally down the road.

tulips



On my daily walk,
it's hard not to notice the beautiful blooms.
One of our neighbors, and fellow veg gardener,
has an amazing display of phlox sprawling next to his driveway.
This is a favorite, and I have plans to plant it
along our slope, so that it cascades down to the street.


This candytuft fills in another neighbor's mailbox bed.
We have some of this growing in our pollinator bed,
but I plan to add more around the homestead.
It stayed green all winter,
and requires very little care.


Our wonderful next door neighbor's irises
were struttin' their stuff yesterday.
The blues are so intense,
and the contrast between the bloom and the green foliage
is certainly striking.


Life is good here on the homestead.

How's spring shaping up where you are?

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I do love a clothesline. And sweet little chickies. Your seedlings look so good! For some reason, I didn't have luck with either of my sowings of lettuce, so I'm glad J bought some. Thanks for the reminder to get my hummingbird feeders ready. Have a beautiful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear about your germination issues. Maybe it's the soil you used? If I could send you some, I would! ;0p Peace and blessings to you!

      Delete
  2. The chicks are so cute! You're definitely in full spring mode!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the chicks!!! You have so many flowers blooming - just beautiful. Our daffodils are up but not yet blooming. Thanks so much for the wonderful comment you left on my last blog post. I, too, treasure our friendship and will stay in touch. Happy Spring!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will miss seeing your farmhouse through the seasons. Your lovely red outbuildings are so charming.
      Have a great weekend!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!