Friday, November 17, 2023

Garden Friday

 



Welcome to Garden Friday!
Our weather has been absolutely spectacular,
with daytime temperatures in the 60's and 70's.
We're hoping for a bit of rain early next week,
we sure could use it.
We have a burn ban in over 30 counties in NC,
and some folks are having trouble with wells being dry.
I think one of the reasons we've had such brilliant autumn color
is because of the lack of precipitation.
As much as I love the seasonal palette,
I'd rather have the rain!


The garden has been bundled up for a while,
and the brassicas have been safe from the coldest nights,
as well as wandering chooks.
The pansies that grow in the washtub
add a bit of color to the landscape.
The raised beds will be rearranged this winter,
creating a more cohesive design (hopefully).


After a Master Gardener session on propagation,
cuttings were taken from Autumn Sedum
for next spring's plant sale.
We are trying a new technique
to raise money for the Master Gardener program.
The members will be growing seedlings
or taking cuttings from their own gardens
to sell at the event.

Also started a few weeks ago,
were kale and lettuce seedlings using the winter sowing method.
Some were recently transplanted to garden beds.
That'll keep me in greens for a few months.


Seeds continue to be saved.
This is the seed pod from the black-eyed Susan vine.
They were left to dry out on the stems before harvesting.


Seeds will be one of the items for sale
at the fundraiser.
I enjoy this vine every summer,
and will continue to harvest seed to ensure
that it's always in my garden.


Some progress was made on the woodchip pile.
C helped me by driving the trailer behind
the lawnmower to move the chips where
they were needed.
There should still be enough to spread
throughout the winter in order to establish 
a few new planting areas.


Thankfully, the lettuce that was purchased as seedlings
is still coming in,
and we are able to enjoy their fresh, crisp leaves
right from the raised beds.

Earlier this week, the asparagus was cut back
 and I will be adding compost for next season.
It's always such a treat to be able to sample
fresh asparagus in the springtime.


Our mild autumn weather has given me the luxury
of spending ample time in the garden.
What a blessing.

How's your autumn garden doing?






12 comments:

  1. I agree that I'd rather have the rain. We sacrificed some of the spectacular beauty this year because of a trio of rain, wind and warmer than average temps. How wonderful to enjoy the warmer temps. Despite a handful of very cold days or nights, we've had a pretty mild fall too. Your lettuce is beautiful, as are your garden beds. It looks like you've got them nicely protected from those silly chickens. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems that each season, we don't really know what to expect, moreso now than in days past.
      Enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  2. I hope you get rain soon. We went a whole month without rain, and then finally we got some on Tuesday. We still need more, of course! I think it's so cool that you are into propagation and saving seeds. You are a true gardener! I would love to try these things myself someday soon, instead of having to buy everything I plant. Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are predicted to have a great gully-washer this coming week. Thank you for your kind words.
      I'd be happy to send you some seeds if you see anything here that you like.
      Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. I didn't realize so much of NC was in drought, only that it's been terribly dry here. It looks hopeful for the coming week. Hoping we both get some rain. That lettuce looks so fresh and yummy. I'm sure you appreciated C helping you with the chips. Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I hope we both get a deluge! It will be so welcome.
      I'm always thrilled when my boy wants to get outside with me. Such a treat.
      Peace to you, my friend.

      Delete
  4. I like your mini hoop houses. Good idea! I'm in cleanup mode in my garden, except for one winter bed. It will be nice to get all the beds tucked in for their winter rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This time of year is so satisfying, isn't it? Enjoy your tidy up!

      Delete
  5. You're garden is always busy busy, no matter the time of year! Is it warm enough there to keep things going through winter as well? I've put the garden to bed here, but the weather's been so nice, I've been out more than in - always something I can find to do - but I need to shift focus, the house needs a good pre-holiday cleaning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We can usually grow kale, cabbage and the like through the winter. We rarely get a hard freeze here (I hope I don't jinx us). There's always something to do, isn't there? It sounds like you've had an extended season too.
    Enjoy your holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The collection of those seeds certainly looks like a tedious process! Hope you get some rain soon, we had one of wettest year ever here in South Dakota where we are normally very dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder. The hope that seeds bring me make it worth the effort.
      Welcome!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!