Thursday, October 1, 2020

Zucchini Fritters

I've been watching the YouTube channel
Downshiftology for a while now.
Lisa's recipes are simple, clean and
take no time at all.
I have to say, that every recipe I have tried
from her website has turned out well.
All of her recipes are gluten-free,
and many have vegan options.
 
It's the first day of October
and you're probably ready for some down-home comfort food.
But the reality is that you are still harvesting zucchini
that never seems to tire of growing,
am I right?
Well, have I got a winner for you!
 
 
This recipe comes together so quickly
that it can be made on any busy weeknight.
The ingredients can be swapped out for whatever you enjoy eating.
I changed a few of the components myself
to use what I had on hand, like using red onion
instead of shallots and omitting the cheese.
They still turned out great.


 
Any excuse to use one of my cast iron skillets
gets me right on board.
For the most part, I steam or roast veggies,
but using the cast iron not only ensures a quick meal,
 

 
but the iron from the skillet helps me stay healthier
by allowing some of the iron to be absorbed into the food.
There's nothing like cast iron to add crispness
without the grease-laden problems of deep frying.
Aside from that, it reminds me of my late momma,
who was the best dang cook on the planet
(this skillet was one of her favorite tools)!


This simple recipe could be used with a number of veggies,
which would be a wonderful way to use up 
what our gardens produce abundantly.
The following is my twist on the recipe,
although you can find the original 
if you click on the website name below.
Feel free to make a mess of 'em,
and freeze them for later. 

 Zucchini Fritters
 
2 medium zucchinis, grated
1/2 medium red onion, diced
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 C almond flour
salt/pepper, to taste
2 Tablespoons coconut oil
 
Add grated zucchini to a bowl,
salt and let sit for about 20 minutes.
After the allotted time,
squeeze the water out of the zucchini
using a nut milk bag or a tea towel
and set aside.
(You can reuse this liquid in soup or broth.)
Add the remaining ingredients and the zucchini
to a clean bowl, and stir just until combined.
Heat the oil in a skillet and place 1/2 cup mounds
of mixture in skillet, flattening if desired.
Pan-fry for a few minutes on each side,
until golden brown.
Remove to a plate or storage container.
Makes about 10 fritters.
Enjoy!
 

7 comments:

  1. Those are good reasons to cook with cast iron! This reminds me of something I used to make eons ago, vegetable pancakes. It actually has a Japanese name that I don't know how to spell, but I loved them. I'm not a zucchini fan (so I don't grow it) but my Mexican summer squash would be great in this. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I wanted to mention that I really enjoy your changing header photos. Including your Sloggers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Yes, we change the header seasonally. Another Sloggers fan! ;0D

      Delete
  3. How wonderful you have your Momma's skillet to use. I know the kitchen items I have from my Mom are extra special.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!