Thursday, April 16, 2020

Homemade ACV


Got Heartburn?
Try some Apple Cider Vinegar.
I know it sounds counterintuitive,
but it really does work.
One of the symptoms I was seeing my naturopath about
was a pressure on my sternum,
(right where your ribs meet in the middle).
It wasn't really painful,
and I didn't think it sounded like what folks describe as burning,
but it was extremely uncomfortable.
The only things that gave me any relief were 
burping (excuse me!) or eating.


 She suggested it could be one of two things.
Either I had an ulcer, 
or it was a lack of acid in my stomach,
which made digestion difficult.
We decided to try an ACV challenge.
For a week, I was to take a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
in a little bit of warm water before every meal.
If it gave me relief, we were on the right track.
If I felt worse, the discomfort was most likely an ulcer
and another course of treatment would be necessary.


I did the "test" and couldn't believe what a difference I felt
in just a few days.
It seems that as we age, our stomach can create less acid,
which helps the food to break down so that it can be digested.
When most people get "heartburn", they take an antacid,
which just exacerbates the situation.
The idea with the ACV is to mimic the natural acid
created by the body.
For me, it worked like a charm,
and I've even decreased the amount I now take.



This simple solution is now even easier
because ACV practically makes itself.
The recipe I used is below.
I hope you'll give it a go,
even if you don't have any digestive issues.
It can be used in place of any standard vinegar
for making salad dressings, household cleaners
or personal care products (like hair rinses).

Homemade Apple Cider Vinegar

2-3 large apples, cubed
1 T organic sugar
water

Add apples to a wide-mouth quart jar,
sprinkle with sugar, and fill with enough water
to fully cover apples.
Place cheesecloth (I used a paper towel square)
 over jar and fasten with
rubber band to allow mixture to breathe.
Place in a dark spot for 4 weeks.
After 4 weeks, strain liquid into a clean jar
(discarding apple pieces),
and cover with cheesecloth.
Allow strained liquid to sit in a dark spot
for another 4-6 weeks.
Lastly, seal jar and store in fridge until needed.
Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Wow - very interesting. I had no idea. Sounds like you've got a great naturopath to partner with. I've taken a tablespoon in warm water to loosen up phlegm when I'm getting sinus-y. It works well for that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know! Maybe my sinuses will be clearing up while I'm keeping my tummy happy!

      Delete
  2. Glad you are feeling better! I use ACV frequently, it does work well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!