Friday, March 27, 2020

Garden Friday



Welcome to Garden Friday!
We hope you and your family are well
and making the most of this transitional time.
Being home more lends itself well to 
completing some garden tasks, taking on new projects
and spending quality time with family.


Although I had a mess of lovely pictures to share with you,
I had technical difficulties,
so these few will have to do.

A check on the blueberries and raspberries found
that there is life after winter!
It was so encouraging to find leaves on both.

We also got our asparagus plants in this week,
and I look forward to all there is to learn
 about growing this new-to-me crop.
The area that was chosen does not have ideal drainage,
but we'll see how it does this year.
I'm already planning ahead to create a designated bed
just for this perennial, in case it doesn't do well this year.

An idea is brewing in my head
to create a strawberry bed
with the new plants we got from Extension.

Lots to do!



Big K helped me on the installation of the drip system.
We're about halfway done,
and I will post more about the process at a later date.
This is my big garden project for this year.
It will make tending crops so much easier
for years to come.


Some wire screens are being constructed
to protect my seedlings from squirrels, chipmunks
and whatever other greedy lil' buggers that try to visit the beds.

So many projects, so much time!
With Big K not working outside the home,
(the part-timers were temporarily suspended),
I have an extra pair of hands to help me.
And that brain of his is a marvel!
He always comes up with great solutions
that I would never have thought of!

It takes a village, people,
but we'll get there!


6 comments:

  1. Wow - you've got quite a few things planned for the garden this year. Good for you. And how wonderful to have a helper right now. Jay is the same way, I am always amazed at his solutions. :) So happy your asparagus is in. I hope it does well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all the kind words. We are choosing to look at the blessings where we can find them. ;0D
      Hope y'all are fine-n-dandy.

      Delete
  2. It's a great time to be in the garden. And maybe we'll all get a little farther on our plans this year, during this time at home. I just finished planting another round of seeds in recycled "greenhouses", and am looking forward to this gardening season. I hope your asparagus thrive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laurie. Yes, I know I will be relishing the time in the garden. An excuse to grow more!

      Delete
  3. Nice job getting a big project going. I am really looking forward to living vicariously through your garden photos this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why not grow some of your own? There are lots of things that will tolerate a good amount of shade. Lettuce, for one. And with all the varieties available, you'd be eating well! ;0D

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!