Friday, February 7, 2020

Garden Friday



Wow!
We had a lollapalooza of a storm yesterday!
Grateful that I was able to be home
and that Big K made it to Florida safely for his yearly trek.

 
The garden plans for spring are slowly coming together,
but we still have about two months before anything major will happen.
So, today I thought I'd share some of my favorite gardening blogs/vlogs
that can be enjoyed throughout the rest of the winter. 
Click on the name to get there!

Bee Haven Acres
This has been one of my favorite blogs for a while now.
Bev and Jack have over 100 acres they tend,
with fellow residents including chickens, ducks, horses, pigs and more.
She gardens organically, whether she's growing veg
or tending the fairy gardens around her property.
Her raised garden is a thing of beauty,
and although she lives in Pennsylvania and gardens seasonally,
this blog is worth reading every single day.
Bev shares "tales from the farm", her day-to-day
with her family and long list of critters.
She starts my day out with sunshine, no matter the weather.
 
Cooperative Extension
A wealth of knowledge awaits you at this website,
based on research done at NC State University.
The local Cooperative Extension center 
can answer just about any question a gardener might pose.
If they don't have the answer, they'll get it.
The Master Gardener class is also offered through Extension,
to further one's font of knowledge.
Research-based information is what you'll find here,
with links to all sorts of resources to further you along on your quest.
 
Grow Veg
Here's a Vlog that I'm crazy about.
This group comes out with a video at least once a week,
on everything from growing to harvest to pest control,
with a bent on organic practices.
The vlogs are quite entertaining and yet full of great ideas.
I actually have the videos come directly to my email account,
so I don't have to worry about missing one.
My favorite vlogs showcase how to repurpose everyday items
in the garden.  That's right up my alley.
There is also a blog from the same group
with even more helpful information,
that can be found here

Growing a Greener World
After enjoying this PBS show for several seasons,
I discovered the website which discusses all of the current episodes,
but also offers the older episodes from past seasons.
Last weekend, I was able to take a free webinar with Joe Lamp'l himself.
With a natural lean toward organic practices and ecological responsibility,
this show feeds my inner flower child.
This show features folks from different locations,
all working toward a more sustainable way to garden
and leaving the world a better place.

Old World Gardens
 Over 10 years ago, Jim and Mary started their farm.
Since that time, they have shared a wagonload of tips, tricks
and do-it-yourself projects with their readers.
I've incorporated several of their techniques in my own garden,
including using their "stake-a-cage" for tomatoes and peppers.
During the growing season, there is much to be gleaned from their posts,
including recipes to help you use up your bounty.
This hard working couple has authored two helpful books for gardeners,
Growing Simple
and 
Raised Row Gardening,
both chocked full of great ideas and projects.
You can find several posts each week on 
Old World Gardens.

Gardeners are curious creatures.
It seems we are always ready to learn something new.
I hope you find these resources helpful,
inspiring and uplifting.
And then pass them on!

2 comments:

  1. Happy to hear you are all ok. The storm hit here yesterday with snow first (thankfully) and then ice. Ice and sleet are happening now and will change back over to snow this afternoon. Enough to make me stay inside and begin planning my new garden space this year. Thank you for sharing these links - a couple of new ones for me. I LOVE growing a greener world. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are kindred spirits, Staci.
      Stay safe this weekend!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!