Friday, May 17, 2019

Garden Friday




 Welcome back to Garden Friday.
There's a lot of green going on in these parts.
The cool snap we had this week didn't seem to bother a thing.
Here's what we've got growing.


 The lettuce is still tasty, although some is turning bitter,
with the onset of bolting.
There are baby lettuces and newly sown varieties as well,
so I hope to be able to harvest for the next few weeks.


 It's yummalicious time!
Snap peas are consumed fresh off the vine,
so they usually don't even make it into the house.
It's my reward for doing my gardening chores.


 The October beans germinated well and are growing the best
out of all the varieties I have tried.
These were obtained from a local nursery.


 It never ceases to amaze me that we can grow enough food
to feed a family, all starting with just a tiny seed.


 The first nasturtium leaf was sampled this week.
I had known about the flowers being edible,
but recently learned that the leaves can be eaten as well.
I could see adding this to salads.
Nasturtiums are planted as a companion plant
throughout the garden, to help ward off pests.


 The leeks in the hugelkultur bed were planted 
at the same time...


as these in their own container.
The difference in maturation is massive!
Maybe they need their own space
and felt crowded in the big bed.
It might be good to have two different harvest times,
that way we can extend the season of eating.


 Sweet potato slips are doing well in the indoor "greenhouse".
With their planting time approaching,
I think we might just have enough to get a bunch in the ground.


This was the first time I've grown my own slips,
and I will be repeating the practice next year.
It was so easy, and fun to watch besides!


 Our local ACE hardware was giving away free onion sets,
since the season is more or less over.
How can you pass up free?
I grabbed a handful of firm, dry bulbs.


 Another gift I received just yesterday,
was these Indiana cantaloupe seeds from a neighbor.
She said that she used to buy these melons
when she lived up north, and they were the best things she ever tasted.
I'll throw some in a pot and see what we get.


The mailbox bed has been a bit disappointing.
I sowed a mess of flower seeds in it
and only a handful of things have come up.
Guess I'll be scouting the next plant swap or farmers' market
to get some things to fill in.
The flush of the iris blooms is eagerly being awaited.


A fresh coat of paint helped our butterfly marker
brighten right up.
It is placed in the butterfly bed,
which is filling out quite nicely.

gaillardia


It's a stupendous time to be a gardener here in the Piedmont.
With daytime temps in the high 70's and low humidity,
it's a wonder I come into the house at all.

Here's hoping that you are able to enjoy
all Mother Nature has to offer.


4 comments:

  1. I like your weather better. We got into the upper 80's today, with 90's forecast many days in the next week. Isn't this an exciting time of year to be a gardener? We walk around every day to see what's come up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ;0D We will be there this coming week as well. I can't complain though, with lows in the morning of 60-65.

    It is so much fun watching the changes. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just catching up on what's going on in your neck of the woods and everything looks great!! Too bad about the mailbox bed but I'm sure you'll have more flowers growing in it in no time. :) Your sugar snaps look so delicious. We're about 2 weeks away from harvesting. Can't wait! We (finally) got the cattle panels up yesterday and I absolutely love them. I can't wait until they are draped with veg. Thank you so much for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you will soon be harvesting some goodies!
      Hope we get to see the garden soon on your blog.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!