Thursday, November 29, 2018

Little Things




We've been in our house for a year and a half now.
It's on the small side, at just over 1400 square feet,
but it suits us.
We were determined when we moved here
to make it our own,
as we hadn't done much to our house when we lived in Florida.
For 11 years, not one color changed on the walls,
and we changed all of that here.
Last year, Big K and I sat down and created a project list
of things we wanted to change.
One of the easiest things we've done is paint the interior.
Each room is a different color, how liberating!
We finally completed the last area of the house,
the foyer and main hallway.



 I'm not sure why, but it took me forever to figure out what color I wanted.
A couple of ideas were discussed and then it just sat there,
unadorned.


 After a few months, the color celadon came to me.
I'm not sure why this popped into my head,
but it kept returning when I thought about the feeling I wanted in this area of the house.


The actual color we chose was Wasabi and it seems just right.
I like that it adds a soothing vibe to the entrance
and when heading to bed for the evening,
the warm color accompanies you to slumberland.
I think it was worth the wait.




Here's one thing that wasn't on our original list,
but it kept gnawing at me.
We had already replaced the mailbox with a larger, rural box,
but never did anything with the post or the barely readable numbers on it.


A fresh coat of white paint and new numbers really made a difference.
Sometimes, you don't have to spend a lot of money
to create a big impact.



A few more things crossed off our to-do list
makes me feel that we accomplished a lot this year.
We still have two or three major projects to start,
including a kitchen makeover and two bathroom updates.
We are also considering relocating our laundry room
to another area of the house where plumbing is already in place,
and turning the current laundry "closet" into a pantry.
This house is a bit on the quirky side,
so we're trying to make it work for our family.

With only a month left in the year,
we hope to complete the front door install
and replace all of the interior door handles.
That will put a good dent in the list
and keep us motivated to get the others knocked off in the new year.
I'm also going to re-evaluate our storage areas
and do some reorganizing to make everything more orderly.
It will most likely become a series next year.
There's nothing like taking a new look at old spaces
to spark fresh ideas for living more efficiently.

What home projects have you tackled this year?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!