Friday, August 28, 2026

Homestead Happenings




Welcome back to Homestead Happenings,
where we share what's going on here
on our Piedmont homestead.
We've been visited by many yellow swallowtail butterflies,
and I learned that this is a male because there are no
blue markings on the bottom of the wings.
These critters love our butterfly bush.
I'm excited to announce that the first monarch
was spotted this week,
so we look forward to a multitude of caterpillars
performing their magic on the milkweed!


The pumpkins continue to sprawl
every which way.
So far, it seems we are lacking proper flower
development, but there are signs of hope.


Several of the Seminole pumpkin vines
are sporting little gems,
as seen here next to the arrow.
I'm hoping to be able to store some
through winter, as these make fantastic soup!


There are turnips coming up nicely.
These are mostly grown for the chooks,
as this variety is grown for the greens,
rather than the root underneath the soil.


Another bed of mixed salad greens was sown.
It took only a few days to germinate.
There are other beds where lettuce seeds will be sown,
so that we can have a succession crop deep into fall.


Carrots are also getting established,
and I even remembered to thin them out!
This bed shares space with onions and lettuce.
Recently, beets and snap peas were also sown,
and kale is next on the list to be planted.
Then the fall garden will be complete!


The green beans are beginning to scale up the bamboo poles.
These are Jade green beans,
which I have heard from other homesteaders
are quite prolific.
It would be so wonderful to have home grown
green beans on the Thanksgiving table.

Jade green bean pods



For the first time, I am attempting to grow
chick peas, or garbanzos.
I'm not really sure what to expect here,
as I've never seen anyone grow them.
We'll just continue to monitor them 
and see what develops.
I eat chick peas so often that
this would be one crop well worth growing.


These are rattlesnake beans,
which are grown to use as a dried bean.
In the next few years, I would like to
continue to experiment with growing a larger variety
of drying beans.
As I don't eat meat, beans are an important part of my diet.
They're also great for sprouting!


The ginger has been blooming for the past week,
and I've enjoyed the tropical look it gives to this corner.


We have been enjoying bringing in small bouquets
of zinnias, mixed with other treasures we are finding in the garden.
Summer is my least favorite season,
but the flowers help to get me through it.


I asked for a retractable hose reel for my birthday,
and Big K came through!
A neighbor installed it for us,
and it's been working quite well.
Sure is easier than dragging a hose
all around the garden.
The only thing I don't like about it,
is that it is mostly plastic.


On the front part of the yard, under the maple tree,
another hose is handy for watering and
cleaning the chooks' coops.
This metal hose has so far worked well.
It's flexible, lightweight, and doesn't kink.


Summer seems to be winding down here, 
even though next week is predicted to have 
high temperatures in the 90s again.
It won't last long.
Everyone here is ready for autumn and its cool mornings,
absence of mosquitos and less humidity.
I hope you are counting your blessings,
 no matter the season.


"We cannot direct the wind,
but we can adjust the sails."
~Dolly Parton

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!