Tuesday, August 4, 2026

Going Local-Sunrise Acres

 

Right near the heart of Lincolnton,
I mean, literally minutes away from downtown,
locals can find farm fresh eggs for sale.
This sign led me to Sunrise Acres,
a regenerative farm,
where I met a kindred spirit in Lynn, the chicken keeper,
among her many other jobs.
We have chooks, but there are times when
we don't have enough eggs, and so I choose to 
support other chicken tenders, rather than buy from the store.
What a great discovery this farm is!


Lynn and her family manage about 12 acres
and a collection of animals,
including chickens, cows, guinea fowl and horses.
When the property was first acquired,
cows and sheep were used to clear several pastures
that were full of unwanted brush.
What a great way of using livestock to work the land.


Over 40 chooks are able to free range safely all day,
with the assistance of electric fencing and
several guard animals.
There is a large shaded area under the trees
for added comfort in the summer months.


The overflowing veg beds contain much of the family's food sources.
Cucumbers, green beans, melons, onions,
pumpkins and tomatoes are some of the main crops grown here.
There are also several types of fruit trees and bushes to
contribute to the family's harvest basket.
I couldn't help but notice that the elderberry bush 
was fully loaded and ready for picking.
Lynn is well versed in food preservation skills,
and I shared an elderberry syrup recipe with her.
This family is quite self-sufficient,
as most of their dietary needs are fulfilled on the farm.


On the day that I visited, the onions were curing 
underneath the cover of a nearby outbuilding.
When asked about her method of growing, 
Lynn shared something she learned over time.
Growing onions in raised beds has given her the best results,
as drainage is vital to the bulbs.
She has also been trimming the greens down to the shortest stem
about halfway through the growing process.
These two factors have helped her have the best onion harvest.

Garden Protector


The property is dotted with metal raised beds
filled with flowers.  Lynn enjoys making arrangements
to bring indoors.
The pollinators are everywhere!


Her colorful zinnias are especially stunning!


Cows use rotational grazing to enhance the soil,
keep parasite pressure low, and improve the pasture
for the next rotational move.
Keeping the livestock moving is better for the animals,
and strengthens the structure of the soil.


One of the magical sights I got to see
were these guinea eggs.
They had been left in a nest beneath this bush.
Guineas are one of the best defenses against pest pressure,
especially ticks!




As time allows, the family continues to work on their landscape.
This beautiful grass has been used to keep soil from
being lost on this area where a slope begins.
Using what they have on the property to deal with challenges
is one of the basics of homesteading.
And why I felt so comfortable with Lynn.
She and I have a similar mindset when it comes 
to homesteading and I felt a connection to her
the very first time I bought eggs from her.
It feels good to support folks who are good stewards
of their land and the animals that dwell there.
Here's more information about this wonderful place.

1 comment:

  1. It's wonderful to see more and more regenerative farms. How lucky to find this one near you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!