Friday, June 28, 2024

Homestead Happenings

 


Welcome back to Homestead Happenings.
Summer is here and are we feeling it!
A lot of the country is experiencing record high temperatures
and we actually went into triple digits this week.
Hoping that we don't see that again.
The watermelon is being gobbled up on a daily basis.


How hot is it?
Dang hot!


A couple of weeks ago,
we finally managed to have our bathroom project done.
We had this tub/shower combination that was
original to the house.


We swapped it out for a walk-in shower instead.
The shower head was also changed out,
and it has been a pleasure taking a shower ever since.
The bonus is that we found a plumber who did a great job
and will be used for future projects.


Outside,
the Cushaw squash is impressing me.
It seems to grow a foot a day,
and so far, has no issues with bugs.


I love the mottled pattern on the ginormous leaves.


The two types of squash (Cushaw and Seminole pumpkin) we are growing intentionally,
are both supposed to be resistant to the infamous squash vine borer.
Time will tell.

native milkweed

canna lily



The garden is doing well,
despite the fact that we haven't had any rain in 3 weeks.
The irrigation has been used,
but does not seem to be doing a thorough job.
I will work on a solution as weather permits,
or wait until autumn.
Until then, I'm hand watering as well.


This year's crop of garlic was cured in the garage,
and then processed for hanging.
The heads are much smaller than I am used to,
but that will be corrected with this year's crop
by being sure to fertilize twice in the 9-month growing season.


The heads were threaded onto stiff wire
and reside near the kitchen.
It's a wonderful feeling knowing that
garlic will not be on our shopping list
for a very long time.


The sweet potato slips were planted,
a little later than usual,
but they should be fine.
Looking forward to using some of the greens
for the chooks to snack on.
I may even keep some for myself.


With the onset of the dreaded heat,
a few new ideas have been tried out 
to keep our girls cooler.
The applesauce jar was filled with water
and frozen overnight.  I then placed it in a plastic pot
(some folks use coolers), and placed it in the run.
This gives the girls a cooling effect just by standing near the pot.
I also used my silicone soup block molds
to freeze larger blocks of ice to give them something super cooling.
A friend gave me a boatload of cucumbers,
so they were sliced in half, frozen and then
added to the runs for the girls to snack on.
It makes me feel better, knowing I can do these little things,
to try to make their lives a bit more comfortable.


The baby girls were integrated this week 
with the older chooks.
I can't say it's going smoothly,
as it seems that the new girls prefer
to sleep on this perch all night,
rather than using the chicken coop.


The older hens are not being as generous as they could be,
but I'm hoping they will get used to each other over time.
It's a time of transition and I'll be glad 
when they are all snuggled up together in the coop at night.
Hopefully, we will get some rain this weekend,
and they will be forced to go inside!
The complicated life of a backyard chook.


As if the joining up of the two separate flocks isn't enough,
we've had a visitor over the last week.
This guinea has been frequenting our run.
I don't mind it hanging around,
as it seems to have lost its flock,
but I don't want it to invite everyone it knows either!
It seems the strays always find us.

What's happening on your homestead this week?

6 comments:

  1. Ah, the strays must know kind souls live there. Your header photos are beautiful! Phew, you were a little hotter than us. I don't think we got above 97 or 98. So glad that it's cooled off, and really hoping for that rain!

    Your bathroom redo is lovely. You know we did something similar a few years ago, and love it. I like your chicken cooling ideas. I bet they're loving your sharing of a boatload of cucumbers! Here's hoping for wonderful weekend showers for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping you got some of that glorious rain last night! Thank you for taking the time to visit. I always enjoy your comments.

      Delete
  2. I wish I could be one of your chickens, ha ha. You take such nice care of them and are so thoughtful about their comfort and well-being. I bet they are really enjoying their cucumber snacks. I love all your pictures in this post. Everything looks so lovely and orderly in your garden, and the new shower looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! You're so cute. I do take chicken keeping seriously. Maybe too much, but that's just my nature. Thank you for stopping by. Hope all is well with you.

      Delete
  3. We received a week of high temps, 90's to 100's, but we have been lucky in receiving cooler temps since. I know it won't last so we are enjoying it immensely while we have it. Your chickens have the life. No wonder the Guinea wants to join! We've had some very confused Guineas visit us as well. They began ramming into our outdoor coop trying to get in. It was quite an experience getting them to stop.

    Have you tried moving the newer girls into the coop at night after everyone is sleeping? That's what we've always done. This way, the others are settled for the night, and they will all wake up together. It doesn't prevent the pecking and restructuring of pecking order, but it may help them live together.

    Our garlic is smaller this year as well. What's funny is that most of the people I've spoken with have said the same thing. So strange.

    Your bathroom shower looks great! That's on our to-do list as well. Wonderful that you've found a plumber you like - that can be a challenge.

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found a temporary solution by dividing the two sides of the coop with chicken wire. For now, they can all sleep in the coop, and after a while I will take out the divider and see how it goes. Thanks for the suggestion.

      I haven't had a great garlic season since 2020. Hopefully, we'll get back on track next season.
      Hope you had a fantastic weekend!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!