Friday, June 7, 2024

Homestead Happenings


sedum

Welcome to Homestead Happenings!
It's been a while, but we are back on track
and have a few updates on what's growing on!

 
The flower beds are bursting with color!
Even this coneflower in the shade is showing off.


With an abundance of rain throughout spring,
the blooms have needed very little coaxing to shine.
Our two pollinator beds near the driveway are filling in.


With Joe Pye weed, parsley and rue planted here,
we hope to have a steady supply of black swallowtail caterpillars visiting.
It's always mesmerizing to watch them make their transformation.


The front beds have been an ongoing project 
over the past year.
Adding evergreens really helped to anchor the space,
and adding more perennials keeps the color changing.


The chamomile in another pollinator bed
is so cheery.
For the first time, I am growing enough to make tea!


Can I just tell you how much I adore having these hydrangeas?
I could not grow them in Florida,
and always admired them in gardening magazines.
A fellow master gardener needed to make room in her garden
for something new, and she gifted me with these,
just for helping her dig them out!
They now line the area all along our driveway
and back in this corner of our lot.
Hydrangea envy no more!


One of the things I like best about them,
is the four season interest they offer us outside,
and the added bonus of being able to include them in 
flower arrangements all summer long.
They also make lovely wintertime displays after they have dried.


What a blessing to be able to have fresh cut arrangements
once again in the house.
The plan is to provide a Friday bouquet for neighbors
all summer long.
Won't that be fun?


Lest you think only the flowers are getting attention,
rest assured that the veg garden is humming right along.
Beets, kale, leeks, lettuce, onions
and a few new additions are enjoying the consistent watering
and ample sunshine.


Our Birdie beds are working out just fine,
and three more were just delivered this week.
That should be all we need for the foreseeable future,
and we look forward to filling them up with goodies.


I swore off of growing squash a few years ago,
as I didn't want to deal with the vine borers anymore.
Well, this cushaw squash is supposed to be
very hearty and I will say that it has taken off without much assistance.
On the opposite side of this bed,
there is one Seminole Pumpkin that germinated.
This variety is heralded as resistant to the squash vine borers,
so I am hoping for good things.
My farmer friend Lynn used to grow it in Florida,
and swears by its reputation.
Good enough for me.


We have so many volunteer squash
(I think it's squash) plants growing.
In the compost pile,


near the chicken run,
and in several other random areas.


A few Jack-o-Lantern pumpkins
in a raised row were planted intentionally.
These seeds were given to me by a fellow gardener
who had come to pick up chamomile plants.
(I took these photos in the heat of the day,
so they look a bit bedraggled.  They will recover.)


It's time to replant some of this washtub.
The curly lettuce has bolted,
and is too bitter for my liking.
The chooks will enjoy it though,
so nothing goes to waste.


A combination of kale, beet greens and lettuce
fills my daily salad bowl.
Can't get fresher than that!


We have green beans, folks!
I spied these tiny beans the other day,
and it made me smile.
A couple of these plants will feed me well.


The garlic was harvested this week,
the latest I've ever done so.
I kept hoping that it would size up,
but it just never happened.
I need to rethink my fertilizing strategy for next season.
Hopefully, this harvest will last us the year.


It will cure in the garage for a couple of weeks,
then be trimmed for storage.
A hefty bunch will be going to sister's house.
That gal can eat some garlic!
I think I need to plant some in her backyard.

What's happening at your place?

6 comments:

  1. Everything looks absolutely gorgeous! You’ve been working so hard – and what lucky neighbors to get fresh flowers every Friday they will love that! I like hydrangeas too-I have a small one called Ruby slippers that my son gave me – it starts out white and then turns red over summer to fall. And oh that garlic, I’m so jealous – your sister is so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, that hydrangea sounds lovely! I love the names they come up with. Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Your sister's a lucky ga, and your neighbors tool! Yours looks like the sort of house that would make you smile when you drove up, with all the beautiful, colorful beds. David the Good recently wrote about his compost squash/pumpkins, and how prolific they were last year, and recommends using that as a strategy. I hope the borers leave you alone this year!

    Did you happen to make the garden trug (I think that's the word?) in the top photo? I've recently had to replace some garden baskets, as they fell apart, and something like that would be much longer lasting. If you did, and there's a tutorial, I'd love to know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know about David's prolific squash! We'll see what happens here.
      A friend's husband made that trug for us. He is so talented, a carpenter by trade. I'll bet you can find a tutorial on YouTube. There is so much wisdom there! Have a wonderful weekend, Laurie!

      Delete
  3. Everything's looking so good! Gotta love those volunteer squash. I found a bunch of them growing in our pasture. I had tossed some barn muck out there on the bare spots and it must have had goat droppings from when I fed them squash. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you'll be having an abundant harvest!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!