Friday, July 17, 2020

Garden Friday




 This week's Garden Friday brings some difficult news.
This garden, that I've spent so much time, effort and love on,
will have to be dismantled.
We found out this week that we were misinformed when we bought the house
about the location of the drain field for our septic system.
It seems that the garden has been planted over the field,
and therefore must be relocated.
Although I use containers, straw bales and raised beds for my growing,
no one I contacted could give me a definitive answer about this dilemma.
Aside from the strong concerns about contamination,
building a garden the way I have could cause future problems for the system.
My garden consists of layers of cardboard, feed sacks, soil, straw and mulch.
The accumulation of these materials can make it difficult for the system
to work properly.
We still have more information to gather,
but the decision was made to relocate the garden.

I'm choosing to look on the bright side.
I can reuse most of my materials for the raised beds,
the containers can be reused and the straw bales need replacing anyway.
I will also be working with a friend on the design of the garden,
incorporating the things I've been wanting to implement.
The hope is to make more of a permaculture system 
while making it chicken-friendly.



We've been chicken keepers for almost a week now,
and I have to say, I'm really enjoying it.
Knowing that I want to continue this aspect of our homesteading lifestyle,
I will be keeping the chooks in mind while the new garden goes in.

My fall garden will be smaller than I had planned,
but if I can at least get the garlic up and running,
I'll call it a success.
The seeds I received a few weeks ago will just have to keep,
and I'll try not to look at them with sadness
because some won't be used this year.
And just think of how much fun planting in spring will be
with a new garden built the way I want it.

I'm not sure I'll have anything to post on Garden Fridays for a while,
I may even take a blogging break for a bit
to process all of this and come up with a plan.
It's been a blow, for sure,
but I'm hoping to make lemonade out of lemons.

Thanks for stopping by today!

8 comments:

  1. How disheartening that must have been to find out. I hope you'll be able to salvage some of the summer garden. Man, the never ending challenges of being a gardener.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great way to describe my feelings. I'm trying to see the silver lining, as is my way. Yes, we are a hardy bunch! ;0D

      Delete
  2. Oh no! I'm so sorry to read this. Thankfully you found out before anything bad happened though. Your garden is BEAUTIFUL - that first shot is amazing. It will take a lot of work but at least you are able to, for the most part, move it rather then dismantle it forever. And you have chickens!!! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, no one can accuse me of being afraid of hard work. I love it. It will be fun to watch a plan come together.

      Yes, the chooks are amazingly sweet!

      Delete
  3. Daisy, oh my gosh. So you have been gardening over the drain field for four years? I'm thinking that if you are gardening like you were taught in Florida, it shouldn't be a problem but I'm sure the new garden will be much better and will alleviate any concerns about contamination.

    It's a dry year here and my rain water tank of 390 gallons is getting low. We are about 10 inches behind the average with no rain in sight. I may have to resort to city hose watering of the garden which would be disappointing. It's plenty hot and sticky today with even more of the same over the weekend.

    My thoughts and prayers will be headed your way as you move your garden to the new space.

    Nebraska Dave
    Urban Farmer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kindness, Dave. The raised beds are probably fine to harvest from, but why take the chance? ;0D

      Sending some rain your way!

      Delete
  4. Oh no! Moving a garden is a huge job, but I agree it will be for the best. I have to say I'm impressed with your sunflowers!

    Chickens are a hoot. They contribute eggs, but also much joy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm formulating a two-step plan for the garden move. It'll be a labor of love.

      Yes, I am enjoying the chooks so much.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!