Thursday, June 25, 2020

Homemade Sports Drink





We have jumped right into summer around here.
Although the temperatures hover in the mid-80's,
it feels a whole lot hotter.
One of my jobs required me to work outside in the afternoons,
and I found myself with a bad case of dehydration.
Even though I thought I was drinking enough water,
the sweat was poring out of my body so fast
that I couldn't get enough liquids to feel better.
It took me a full three or four days to improve.
A call to my naturopath validated my hunch.
She suggested that water is often not enough to stay hydrated
during the heat of summer,
especially for someone like me who works outside.


I've never been able to stomach the store-bought hydration drinks,
and they are so full of junk that they don't appeal to me in the least.
Still, I knew that my electrolytes were out of whack
and needed to be put more in balance.
A quick search led me to this recipe 
for a homemade version of sports drink
that tastes nothing like the commercial brands.
It's a bit flexible too,
as you can add other flavors to it 
and the benefits of the minerals will be unaffected.
The original recipe can be found here.

My sweet client was willing to allow me
to work mornings through the summer.
That should help.

The Mayo Clinic outlines these symptoms
of deydration:
Extreme thirst
Less frequent urination
Dark-colored urine
Fatigue
Dizziness
Confusion

You might have one or all of these issues.
If you feel overheated, take a break, get out of the sun,
and get into a cooler spot if you can.
I will follow my own advice
so that I don't have another incident like last week.
It'd be a good idea to mix some of this up
and have it chilling in the fridge
so that it's ready should you need it.

Homemade Sports Drink
(for staying hydrated)

1 quart liquid (tea, water)
1/8-1/4 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon magnesium powder
1/4 C juice (opt.)
1-2 Tablespoons honey (opt.)
I also added about 1/4 C of water kefir to my jar.

Warm liquid on stove top, then add salt and magnesium.
Stir until dissolved.
Turn off heat and let cool.
Add remaining ingredients and chill.
Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I agree about the store bought sports drinks. My husband loves them and I find them disgusting. Thanks for sharing an alternative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is excellent to know, especially for those of us who work outside for long hours in the summer heat. I make switchel, but I would like to try this too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll give it a go. It tastes so much better than the store bought drinks.

      Thanks for visiting!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!