Friday, May 8, 2020

Garden Friday



Well, How Do,
and welcome to Garden Friday!
This is my friend Snickers,
who doesn't mind shading his eyes
while he supervises my work on Thursday afternoons.
He is one cool pup!


It's been a busy week and it gave me great satisfaction
to cross a few things off of my to-do list.
First on the agenda was to empty this trailer of mulch,
which Big K and I took care of early in the week.


This free mulch is used to convert grassy areas
to pathways around the garden.
A layer of thick cardboard is put down first,
and about 2-3" of mulch covers it up.


The garden is expanding a wee bit this year,
with plans to add a few more planting areas in the next few years.
The county landfill's mulch helps to keep grass and weeds at bay
and the price is right!


We also used the chipper to make wood chips for the interior of the garden.
We use the free stuff underneath and then use the pretty stuff on top.
I'm hoping we can get into a good rhythm of chipping each weekend,
as we have quite a few piles of limbs and twigs around the property.


This mint patch prompted me to give this area a bit of attention.
It was here when we bought the house,
and since I know I can't really fight it,
(mint is almost impossible to eradicate),
I'm embracing this spot and adding to it.


Some of the seeds that were added to the pollinator bed
were gathered to use here.
Daisies and zinnias are some of the fastest growing flowers,
especially when conditions are favorable.


The three varieties were mixed together 
and broadcast over this section of the side yard.


Since we occasionally see deer visiting our yard,
I took pains to protect the newly planted hostas out back.


Chicken wire was either laid on top of
or used to "cage" the plants.
We'll see how it goes.


A cattle panel was placed in one of the 3X8 beds
where three different types of squash were planted.
The area in the foreground will be planted with sweet potatoes.
There should be lots of action happening on that trellis!


A handful of warm-weather crops were sown,
in hopes that the cold weather was on its way out.
Wouldn't you know that we've still had a couple of days in the high 30's?
Thankfully, these were well protected.


Two types of eggplant are being started.
While I've grown the long Japanese-type,
the Antigua variety is new to me.
I've never met an eggplant I didn't like!


We'll give these two kinds of peppers a go this season,
as I'm not much for the spicy curl-your-hair types.


A few kinds of beans have been sprouting up.
These are Pinto bush beans.
I ventured into growing drying beans for the first time last year,
and I loved the results.
Beans keep for so long in jars in the pantry,
so they are always at the ready for a filling, nutritious meal.


We got flowers, folks!
Snap peas can't be far behind.


 The irrigation system is worth its weight in gold.
I haven't had to hand water once,
and the plants are responding.
Can't wait to fill up these beds with goodies!


A work in progress, just like everything else in this life,
the garden is a source of joy, discovery and grounding.


Here's hoping this weekend finds you
healthy, doing something you love,
and surrounded by those for whom you care most.

Happy Mother's Day to all the Mommas out there!

8 comments:

  1. Snickers is adorable. What a nice supervisor. Your garden space looks amazing and I can't wait to see it in a couple of months. So happy you're enjoying the irrigation system! I haven't had once in place for awhile - back to watering by hand. Maybe that will be on my wish list for next year. You are inspiring me, as you always do, this time to plant drying beans. It's been on my "someday" list and I think next year I need to make it happen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With beans as much of your diet as it is, I think drying beans would be a great addition to your garden!
      Enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  2. Your garden is beautiful, as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words.
      Hope you are enjoying some sewing this weekend!

      Delete
  3. I've not heard of antigua eggplant either. I'll be interested to know how they do. We're scrambling today, getting ready for the freeze tonight as best we can. Hoping your garden fares well. Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you like me to send you a couple of the seeds?
      Best wishes with the weather tonight.
      Thank you, you too! ;0D

      Delete
  4. Well, isn't Snickers the cutest thing!!

    Your garden looks fantastic. The unusually chilly nights have been a bit of a slow-down to be sure, but your hard work is paying off. The cattle panel trellis is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a sweetheart. ;0D

      I hope you're right. The cattle panels make such great trellises. So easy!

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!