Thursday, December 12, 2019

Percolatin' Perks




Vintage runs in my blood.
Although I've always had an appreciation for older things,
somewhere in my 30's, I lost touch with my inner self.
Once rediscovered, I began thrifting and scouring yard sales and flea markets
for all things classic 
(read well made). 
Let's face it,
with very few exceptions,
things are just not made with the same pride and satisfaction
as in days past.
Thankfully, it's possible to appoint oneself with treasures from long ago,
that are utilitarian and built to last.

Take this percolator.
After searching for quite a while,
it was spotted at a local downtown merchant.
At $18, it was the bargain of a lifetime,
and it didn't hurt that it was in pristine condition.



Why do I love this percolator?
First of all, it makes an epic cup of coffee.
Don't ask me all of the specifics, because a barista, I am not.
All I know is that the flavor is crisp, fresh and just the strength I desire.

Other reasons to consider getting yourself one of these hot little numbers:

  ~It doesn't take up a lot of counter space like machine coffee makers.
~It is easy to clean-dishwasher safe or a quick rinse under warm water and you're ready to brew again!
~No need for electricity-even if we lose power I can have my joe.  
Simply place on a camp stove or fire pit and it's go-time!
~With no wires or electrical parts, there is nothing to wear out.
~This is a no-waste device.  With no filters to buy, there is no need to trash anything.
In fact, the used grounds make a wonderful addition to the garden or the worm bin.

I'm always working on creating less of a footprint in my day-to-day,
and this step back in time actually is the wave of the future.
It helps me keep the commitment to Mother Earth every time it's used.
  



Instead of buying one of those complicated machines
that do everything short of cleaning your house,
why not simplify with a gadget that has stood the test of time?

Here is my recipe for a marvelous cup of coffee.

~Place wire basket assembly into coffeepot.
~Measure out the number of cups of water needed
and pour directly on top of the basket
(this is supposed to keep grounds in the basket,
and out of your coffee).
~Fill the basket with measured coffee grounds
(I use 3 Tablespoons per 2 cups of water.)
~Replace lid of basket and percolator.
~Place on high heat until percolation begins.
~Turn down to a simmer and percolate 15-20 minutes.
Enjoy! 


2 comments:

  1. Epic coffee indeed! There's just no comparison. What an amazing find!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!