Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Got Woodchips?



 

In June of 2018,
just after we moved into our new home,
we were gifted with a free load of wood chips
from the local power company.
They needed a place to dump and we were happy to oblige them.
That load got distributed mostly in the veggie garden.
Good stuff, that.

Since then, I've been looking for another source,
as the power company hasn't been working in our area recently.
A couple of tree service companies were called,
but after leaving messages, 
nothing happened.

Then, friends had some damaged trees cut down
and I was able to speak with the worker in charge.
He assured me that his company was always looking for places to dump.
I promptly gave him my contact information
and he informed me that they would be working in my area
within the next couple of weeks.
Nothing yet.



After watching 
"Growing a Greener World" on PBS this weekend,
I learned about  
Chip Drop.
It's a company that has a master list of folks who want wood chips.
Basically, you register your address and some other pertinent information,
and you could be the recipient of a massive pile of free chips!
It's helpful to be a bit flexible with the delivery.



We are now on the list and will be happy to receive them,
no matter when they come.
(There are a few things to consider before applying for chips.)
So many spots around our home could use a bit of freshening up,
so we look forward to our first load,
(hopefully soon). 
Ahh, I love the smell of wood chips in the morning...


To learn more, you can go to the website, found

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that sounds like a good thing! I watched the video & read the info, which all sounds fine. I'll be surprised if they have it in this area, but plan to sign up once my husband checks it out. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've done chip drop a couple of times and it was pretty good. The first load was the best cherry mulch, but the second load had way more ivy and bad vegetation in it. But the loads were free and they helped with keeping the mud down during the winter. Good luck, I hope you get your chips soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huh - I've never heard of that. Thanks so much for sharing! I love them for the spaces between my raised garden beds too. Keeps the weeds away and the mud in check. I can't wait to see if they offer it in our area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hope they have it near you! It's a great resource!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!