Friday, April 26, 2019

Garden Friday




It's Garden Friday once again
and we have been busy in the garden this week.
Last weekend, the trailer was emptied of its mulch.
Clearly, we will need at least one more yard
to fill in the rest of the veggie garden.
Good thing it's one of my favorite chores!


The bad news this week is this.
Something started to eat the kale in the hugelkultur bed.


A little detective work found these critters on many leaves.
The cabbage worms like the kale as much as I do.
The secret for bug-checking is to  
follow 
       the 
                poop.

Where there's poop, there's a critter.

They were hand-picked and placed in the compost pile.
It is hard for me to squish them, even though I know
they are eating my food.
Thankfully, that particular kale was bolting anyway.
Here's an article about options for dealing with these pests.


A "bug jar" is always kept in the garden,
so that while I am out there watering or weeding,
it's easy to check for bugs and have a place to put them.


 The buttercrunch and oakleaf lettuces have been enjoyed over the last couple of weeks.
It is so tender, sweet and delicious,
without the least hint of bitterness.


The Red Planet lettuce mix
will be picked as micro-greens.
This is the first time I've tried this variety.


 A few things were transplanted from our "greenhouse",
including this red cabbage.
Another new crop for me,
I look forward to eating this favorite.


The thyme I had growing in several containers
surprised me to no end
by sailing right on through the winter with no special care.
It's even happier now that the temperatures are warmer.


 The flower buds were removed from half of the shallots this week.
A little experiment is underway to see if it makes any difference to production.


 With the other half left intact, 
the flowers should yield seeds that I can save for next season.
We shall see.


 The raspberry plants we got from Extension
are filling out quite nicely.
I'm thinking we will need to add more next year.


The blueberries made me jump for joy when I spied them on our plants.
It just amazes me to see all of this food growing before my eyes.


 Our apples are forming,
although I am fairly discouraged,
knowing that without spraying the trees,
there is not much likelihood that they will ever develop fully.
At least the deer might have something to eat.


 The butterfly bed is starting to come alive.
I noticed the gaillardia beginning to bloom this week.
This pollinator-friendly flower puts on a show for six months or longer.


 The lavender is getting ready to flower.
I'm hoping to harvest and dry some of it
to use for personal care products like salves and lotions.



 This two-year old beautyberry is showing signs of life.
It was relocated, as it will be too big for the butterfly bed.
With several on the property,
we should have a lot of happy birds!


The redbud trees that I planted in March are all leafing out.
With rain in tomorrow's forecast,
they will surely grow a bit fuller.


Last year I had planted three hostas near our back steps.
They all disappeared and are now coming back.
Not sure what happened to them.


The clematis is slowly gaining foliage and climbing the railing.
I think it needs to be moved,
as there is not too much sun on the back of the house.



 A lot of clearing out has been started just under the lorapetalum.
This will most likely end up being a second pathway to the veggie garden beyond.
It would be a great spot for a bench or chairs.


The photo doesn't capture it,
but this maple tree is truly stunning.
The layers and layers of bright green leaves are simply luxurious.
I could watch them sway in the breeze all day.


 It's time I learn a lot more about the trees on the property.
This is one of the trees out front,
but for the life of me,
I can't identify it.
I'd say a trip to the library might be in order.
Any good suggestions on books to aid in identifying trees?


A generous fellow Master Garden distributed extra plants she had,
free of charge,
to several of us at our last meeting.
I've got some more potting to do,
but it will be nice to be able to dress up the porch with some spring color.

What's happening in your spring garden?


2 comments:

  1. Everything looks amazing. Too bad about the cabbage worms. Our coop girls enjoy those delicacies that I hand pick. :) Maple trees are my favorites- they are beautiful and grand in every season. We don't spray our fruit trees either but I will tell you that we do get fruit. It's not consistent, since we don't spray, but we enjoy pears, apples and Asian pears almost every year. Fingers crossed that yours will pull through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Staci. Sometimes I wish I had chickens, just so that I would have a use for those worms! ;0D

    So,there's hope to get fruit without spraying!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!