Friday, February 8, 2019

Garden Friday





 Welcome to Garden Friday!
Guess who came-a-calling this week?
These bluebirds were captured by C yesterday
and seemed very interested in one of the two new birdhouses installed.
How exciting to be able to enjoy watching these sweet things
raise a family.
It has sure felt a lot like spring this week!
Yesterday's high was 77.
Wow, I could get used to that.


It was a busy week for me,
as I was occupied with tidying up several gardens,
none of which were mine.
One of the first tasks I want to tackle this weekend
is reorganizing and tidying up my outdoor work area. 
I'm also hoping to get to the actual garden zone,
to rake up leaves, check on the cover crops 
and pull out any stray veg that didn't stand a chance this winter.


The good news is that Big K and I found seed starting mix in the store.
We picked up a few bags so that we can get a jump start on sowing in trays.
(Of course, you realize, when I say "we", I mean me.
Big K is not a dirt lover.)
Oh, it did my heart good to see those shelves filled with gardening rations.
I've just been itchin' to get something started!


 I pulled out the seeds for the spring garden
that I can start within the next four weeks.
This weekend's selection will include beets, broccoli, bush beans, 
cabbage (red), kale, lettuce, spinach and tat soi.
Toward the end of the month or just into March,
I will start carrots, snap peas and Yukon Gold potatoes.
From the looks of it, I really need to use my growing space
much more efficiently or build some more beds.
It seems that every year, I yearn to try new things.
One thing is certain, 
my mouth is anticipating 
some home-grown lettuce and kale.


 Here are just a few of the varieties ordered from High Mowing Organic Seeds.
This is the first time I've ordered from them,
and I'm looking forward to seeing how they do.
One of the things I like about this company
is all the research, trials and information they share with their customers.
Real people growing these varieties have given ample feedback,
which makes it so much easier to make selections.
All of the seeds from this company are organic and open-pollinated.
That's the way I like to do business.

How are things shaping up in your spring garden?


3 comments:

  1. High Mowing Organic Seeds is a great company, isn't it? I must say, I'm a bit jealous of your weather..... :) How will you be growing your potatoes this year? For some reason dirt hills aren't working as well as it used to in our garden so I'm considering switching back to straw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last year I grew Yukon Gold potatoes in chicken wire hoops. They did well. Kept them covered in leftover straw from the straw bales. You can grow them in crates too, if you have them.
    Looking forward to seeing your upcoming garden!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooohhh, yes, I forgot about your chicken wire hoops. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!