Tuesday, August 19, 2014

The Maple Hill Hop 44


Maple Hill Hop



Summer is movin' right along here in Central Florida.
The gloriosa daisies don't seem to be fazed by the soaring thermometer.



They keep on blooming day after day,
regardless of the relenting sun.


Others are providing seeds to ensure future blooms.


 The bright magenta jewels on the native beautyberry
are appealing to birds.


fading zinnia



 Lantana adds a pop of yellow to the back bed
and pollinators just love it!


 More yellow can be found on this thryallis located in the east side bed.


 This Florida-friendly plant just thrives in the scorching temperatures.


 Underneath, the sweet potato vine fills in as a ground cover.



The morning glory vine edges the square-foot bed.



This bed is being turned into an herb garden,
and the vine adds a soft border.


The pumpkin vine decided to jump the trellis and take over the square-foot bed.
This thyme in the middle is not giving up its coveted spot.


The birdbath provides ample shade for our feathered friends.
The ferns are filled with anole lizards and baby frogs.




hibiscus



It was great to discover the monarchs taking up residence
on the native milkweed again.



 There has been a noticeable decline in the number present this summer.
Hopefully, they are only behind schedule, 
and we'll have a few more months to enjoy hosting them.


What's going on outside where you are?

HOP to it!




8 comments:

  1. We've had a good amount of rain the last week which we needed after a dry spell. Your Rudbekia is so pretty. I've not had much success with it in the past. I should try it again in my new sunny garden. Did you start yours from seed?

    Your garden has certainly matured over the last few years. I really like how your morning glory is softening the edges of your herb garden. I moved a thryallis to my new garden and I'm still waiting for it to recover. New leaves, but no flowers yet. Maybe by spring... enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did start it from seed, as I do most of what's in the garden. I can send you some if you like. Just email me if you're interested.

      You'll be thrilled with the thryallis once it gets going. It is drought-tolerant and blooms almost all year! Enjoy!

      Delete
  2. Daisy, I'm always amazed at the difference in how a row crop farmer thinks and how a gardener thinks. My back ground comes from row crop farming. I'm really trying to change that but clump growing just doesn't seem right. Morning Glory, Milk Weed, and Sunflower, were plants that were eradicated from the field. Well, any thing but the crop planted was eradicated from the field. It's even more so today than in my youth. It's only been in the last few years that I've been tolerant to nature's beneficial plants. Hopefully, an old row crop farmer can learn new gardener ideas.

    Have a great day in the Florida garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need all types of gardeners/farmers. I'm sure you could teach me so much about growing crops.

      Delete
  3. Hi there! I just saw your comment about my blog over on Life at Cobble Hill Farm. It completely made my day :) I'm now following your blog + can't wait to share our kindred spirits :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words. I hope you'll enjoy your time here!

      Delete
  4. Lots of beautiful blooms to share---how nice to see!
    Looks like you've had a great season as well. Have a wonderful day

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!