Friday, February 25, 2022

Garden Friday

 
 
Welcome to Garden Friday!
It's been a cool and wet week here in the Piedmont
of North Carolina.
Here's what's going on in our zone 7b garden this week.
The daffodils are bursting forth all over the neighborhood.
We've added a few more each year to our property
and they are quite the cheery greeting to springtime!

 
The hyacinth blooms are also appearing.
The color purple speaks to me,
so these are a welcome addition to the beds.

 
The tulips that were planted mere weeks ago,
have decided that the time is right to pop out of their cozy underground bungalow.
This is the first time I have planted tulips,
as we couldn't grow them in our former home in Florida.
It's such a treat to see all of this dormancy come alive!

 
The irises have yet to be moved,
but it's on the list I will get to it this weekend.
These share space near our mailbox,
but they would do well to be divvied up and distributed to other places.

 
Some cannas were spied yesterday,
although I could have sworn I dug them all up last fall.
These will be transplanted near the chicken run,
as they will add some interest and a bit of shade for the chooks.

 
A check on the blueberry plants found that some are awakening,
and some are not.
Looking back on my soil test from last year,
I am looking forward to seeing if adding the needed amendments
improved the acidity of the soil for this crop.

 
This new-to-me forsythia is starting to bloom,
and I need to find a proper spot for it,
so that it can get as wild as it wants to.
Any suggestions?

 
The strawberries seem to be coming alive,
although I have to say, that they never really seemed to mind
even the coldest temperatures.
I was hoping to create a larger bed for the entire collection,
but haven't yet gotten around to it.

 
Our first asparagus of the season was spotted yesterday!
I can hardly wait to enjoy this delicious treat.
No more buying asparagus at the store!
This crop can provide food for up to 20 years.

 
The potatoes that were planted just two weeks ago
have begun erupting through the soil.
Well, that didn't take long.
I will probably have to purchase some seed potatoes,
as the ones I planted from last year's harvest
won't likely last us too long.
We love our spuds.

 
I'm looking forward to watching the parsley
recover completely from the winter's frigid temperatures.
It never died back entirely,
and I'm sure it will bounce right back
with warmer temperatures and ample sunshine.

 
The cover crops will remain in place until I need this bed
for other crops.
I'll add them to the chook run to see if there are any takers.
They look pretty beat up after the last major snow we had,
but notice how most of it is still green.
Aren't plants just amazing?

 
Gardening is happening on the inside of the house too.
I'm using these clam shell containers to sprout my seeds before sowing.
They act as a mini greenhouse.

 
Just look how the snap peas are diggin' it!
The seeds are simply placed on a damp paper towel,
(you could use strips of fabric to make it zero-waste),
and left in the containers for a few days.

 
The Ruby Red Chard seems to enjoy the conditions as well.
I'm sprouting the seeds to get a head start on my crops for spring.
This year, I am planning to incorporate more food crops
into the landscape,
so I am sprouting more than I normally would.
It's all one great big experiment!

 
For each set of seeds,
I write the date and the variety on the towel
before placing it into the container.
It's so exciting to open up the bin each morning
to see what has germinated!

 
Another task we accomplished this week
was to clean out all of the birdhouses we have on the property.
I was so thrilled that my boy helped me with this chore.
He is a real bird lover,
so he wanted to make sure our feathered friends
have a cozy place to call home all season long.

 
Nests are always so fascinating to see.
We leave materials that might be useful to the birds
in the creations of these masterpieces.
In several nests, we found string from our bird seed bags.
Birds are the ultimate repurposers!

 
Unfortunately, we found a sweet chickadee
in one of the houses that had succumbed to something.
We gave it a proper burial near the garden.

 
In one of the bluebird houses,
we found the beginnings of a nest 
for this season.
We've noticed a pair of bluebirds making themselves at home here.
And we couldn't be happier.

 
The winter is winding down,
and we will be ready for spring
whenever She decides to make her appearance.
Until then, it's homemade candles in the morning,
and comfort food at dusk.

 

8 comments:

  1. "Winter is winding down" Yes! This was a real "Ooh! Ah!" post for me. So exciting to see spring coming alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed it, Leigh. Living with the seasons is such a gift.

      Enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  2. Homemade candles in the morning and comfort food at dusk sound perfect for February days. I definitely need to try the sprouting technique with chard, which I have a hard time starting. It appears all the fall planted ones were done in this winter. So many lovely things coming alive there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, Laurie, I couldn't believe how quickly they came up. Give it a go!

      Delete
  3. So lovely that you've got birds nesting. And your garden is already waking up. Your yard is so pretty. Our daffodils came out last week when we had a week of warm weather and now it's really cold. Poor things, they may lose their flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the awakening of spring is absolutely magical. We could still get some cold weather moving through, so our early risers are at risk too.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. It's so wonderful to see your photos! I'm starting to get the itch for the seasons to change, so I live vicariously through your photos. 😊 And Asparagus!!! Wow! I'm in absolute awe by the fact that you just planted tulips and potatoes and they are already up. That's incredible.

    So nice that you had a birdhouse cleaning partner. It's always fun to share some of the same interests. Hoping you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the dawning of spring is certainly thrilling!

      I love it when my boy wants to participate. It's rare these days.

      Enjoy your week!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!