Friday, April 23, 2021

Garden Friday

 Hey there!
It's Garden Friday,
where we share what's happening seasonally in our Piedmont garden.
 
 
The soil samples were brought into our local Extension office,
so that we can get a reading on the quality of the soil in our beds.
Samples were taken out of several beds,
as well as the blueberry patch area.
The office sends in the samples once a month,
and the results are sent directly to the inquirer via e-mail.
This is a free service offered by most Extension offices.
In a few weeks, we should know if any amendments are needed.

 
These Slenderette green bean seeds were given to me several years ago
by my dear friends, Faye & Lynn,
the farmers in Lake Wales, Florida, with whom I volunteered.
I put ten seeds in a bag with a wet paper towel,
just to see if they were still viable.

 
Well, I got a 90% germination rate, so I thought they were worth a shot.
These beans are so tender and tasty, with no strings to annoy you.
It's by far the best green bean I've ever eaten.

 
They were potted up and so far, they are doing fine.
No doubt, with winter's last grip on us gone,
they will thrive in the sunshine.

 
The hostas that were planted in the backyard are really lovin' their spot.
These were gifted me by a sweet friend
and I think I just might have picked the ideal location for them.
A feeling of accomplishment, for sure.

 
There are a few more on the other side of the gravel walkway,
and I can see filling in this whole, long path with many varieties.
Can you ever really have too many hostas?
I think not.

 
The blueberry patch was worked on a bit this week.
I started laying out the drip system,
so that it will be watered at the same time as the raised beds.

 
As I got the poly tubing set up,
I was again reminded of how easy it is to work with this system.
It saves a whole lotta time and worry
and only requires checking on it once a week
to ensure that everything is working correctly.
Before I set up my own system,
I thought installing drip irrigation was difficult.
Here's where we posted about our original install.
 

With a day of rain predicted for tomorrow,
all of the garden should be mighty satisfied.
And so will this gardener.
 
How's your garden growing?

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad to have the last of the cold behind us. Wednesday night's frost bit around 1/3 of our potato patch. I'll soon see how we fared with last night's, and take all the coverings off the tomatoes, peppers, squash and cucumbers. Rain tomorrow will be most welcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more! Enjoy the downpour! ;0D

      Delete
  2. We are getting our chicken coop completed, then will start on raised garden beds. Everything looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like things are coming together nicely! Enjoy.

      Delete
  3. It's the most wonderful time! New subscriber.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!