Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Homeade Almond Milk

 
 The recipe for this almond milk couldn't be easier.
It was found on Downshiftology,
one of my favorite  
clean food websites.
 The impetus for finding it
was to be mindful about the type of packaging I'm buying,
and to decrease the total amount of packaging in general
that's coming in to the house.
I have read that the containers that refrigerated non-dairy milks come in
are recyclable, which is great,
but if I can decrease my use of even recyclables, all the better.
 
 
Overnight soaking of nuts in general makes them easier to digest,
and for this recipe, it's a must.
The soaking in this case not only enhances the creaminess,
it actually makes the almonds more nutritious
by activating the enzymes in the nuts.
The pulp leftover from the initial blending
can be saved for future baking projects,
but I've found that the chooks really enjoy it as a treat.
I dig no waste recipes!

 
This milk comes out so creamy and luscious,
you won't miss the store-bought stuff at all!
The best part of making it is that you know exactly what's in it.
And what's NOT.


 The only down side to making your own
is that it keeps for just three or four (if you're lucky) days in the fridge.
I now halve the recipe and end up making it twice a week
so that I have enough for my daily oatmeal and coffee.
I haven't sworn off store-bought,
but this recipe makes it easy to be more self-sufficient.
Whip up a batch of homemade cookies
and pour yourself a tall glass of creamy goodness.


Homemade Almond Milk

1 C raw almonds (soaked overnight)
4 C cold water
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-2 soaked dates or 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
pinch salt

Drain and rinse almonds after soaking.
Place ingredients in blender or food processor.
Blend at least 1-2 minutes.
Strain with a nut milk bag or fine sieve.
Keep refrigerated up to 3 days.
Enjoy!
 

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I didn't know it's that easy! Thanks for that and the link to Downshiftology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is too bad it only keeps for a few days. But well worth the effort of making it!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!