Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Gettin' Stronger Day by Day


Mark Lauren

 It's a new year and a great time to put yourself on the list!
I've been regularly exercising for almost 40 years,
and truth be told, I always loved elementary school gym.
Working out has always been part of my routine,
and a way of 
confirming my gratitude 
for the health I've been given.

With various ailments over the last few years,
my goal has been to increase my knowledge,
engage in healthier eating practices,
and find a workout that speaks to me.
Thanks to Mark Lauren's book,
that last objective has been easy.

Being diagnosed with osteoporosis several years ago,
I've been on a quest to remain drug-free
and deal with this illness on my own terms.
I have a fabulous doctor who respects my decision
not to take pharmaceuticals for this chronic condition.
Through diet, supplements and the right type of exercise,
I've been able to reverse some of the damage to my bones.
I'm not out of the woods by any means,
but I'm on the right track.

Body By You was an answer to prayer.
I was looking for a program that I could easily do
using my own body weight.
The exercises in this book accomplish that
and also require very little in the way of equipment.
In fact, the equipment consists of everyday items
you already have in your home, like tables, doors and chairs.
For example, push-ups are done against a countertop for the beginner,
then get progressively more difficult as you get stronger.
A chart in the book enables you to keep track 
of each exercise and your progress.
 There are variations on each movement,
so it can be custom-designed for each individual.
With plenty of pictures to guide you,
each pose can be modified as needed.
Another great feature is that the work out
consists of 4 exercises with just 2 or 3 sets of 12.
In under 30 minutes, you have completed your workout for the day.
For me, doing this workout on Monday, Wednesday and Friday is perfect.
That allows me to include yoga on Tuesday and Thursday
and a daily 1-1 1/2 mile walk around the neighborhood.

 
I have been doing yoga and weight bearing exercises
for over 20 years, hoping to create healthier, denser bones.
When I knew my bone density scan was coming up,
my goal was to keep my numbers from getting worse.
This book is part of the reason that I've improved. 
If you're looking for an efficient, effective workout,
I hope you'll give this book a try.
(This is not a paid endorsement,
I just like to keep the good stuff moving.)

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for the review of the book. I'll definitely be purchasing the book. I have osteoporosis and mild scoliosis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this. With so many books out there on this subject it's hard to find a gem so I appreciate that you've shown us what you found!! And good for you for taking charge of your own health and finding a way to make a difference through diet and exercise. It's a hard road but so incredibly worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel so fortunate to have found a doctor (who takes my insurance) who is willing to work with me. She is a real blessing in our lives.
      Thanks for visiting today!

      Delete
  3. Thanks! My grandmother had severe osteoporosis so I have been taking calcium and eating calcium rich foods in my attempt to reverse the damage soda likely did over the last few years. I will definitely look up the books you recommend and see what I can use from them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it helps to be proactive. Look into the other minerals that are necessary for healthier bones. A great resource is Dr. Susan Brown's website: https://www.betterbones.com/.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a great workout plan. And it's awesome that you do yoga as well! I definitely agree with you that exercise and a healthy diet are the best medicine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for stopping in, Leslie. So far, it's worked well for me. ;0D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!