Friday, September 13, 2019

Garden Friday




Welcome to Garden Friday!
Summer's fading fast and cooler temperatures are on the way!
Here's where the garden is on this 2nd week of September.


The okra forest is getting ready to be removed.
With fall planting ahead,
I need to make room for our new raised beds.
Next year, less okra will be planted (it was a prolific producer),
and they will be settled into straw bales.
The harvesting is much easier because they are off the ground,
and they do quite well in them.


This was yesterday morning's harvest,
which allowed me to make two jars of pickles,
and have another dozen for roasting.
The two varieties grown this season were
the Clemson Spineless and the Bradford Family Heirloom.


The runner beans seem to enjoy the hot, dry conditions.
This is a new crop for me and I think I will grow it every year.
It's been trouble-free and very low-maintenance.


 The sweet purple blossoms were an added bonus.


 The dried beans are picked off of the stalk and left out to dry.
I hope to have a Mason jar full of shelled beans to use throughout the year.
They also make great sprouting beans.


So far, the t-shirt slings seem to be keeping the melons cozy.
We have 5 or 6 that are growing and doing well.


 Some have been overtaken by critters.
I didn't bother to do anything about these,
just let things run their course.
I'm hoping the beneficial insects will balance things out.
That's something I've been leaning more toward,
trusting nature to keep things in balance.


The loofah took its time getting started,
but once it did, it never turned back.
There are still a ton of blooms on the trellis,
attracting all sorts of pollinators.


 Some of the gourds are turning color on the vine.
I've been told that it's best to let them get brown and dry before harvest.


There are more than I can count at this point.
I love me a carefree crop!


The strawberries in the straw bale looked almost dead at one point.
For some reason, they've perked up.
If I can keep them alive a little while longer,
perhaps we will be in for a tasty treat.
I'm thinking they may need to be covered with loose straw over the winter. 
Research is in order...


The white sweet potatoes have taken over the entire east side of the garden.
With dozens of blossoms and vines running amok,
they don't look close to being ready to harvest.
I'm waiting until the foliage starts to turn brown and dry up
before I begin the treasure hunt for spuds.

sweet potato blossoms


The orange sweet potatoes are far behind,
but are at last climbing the arches.


 The eggplant has been getting picked weekly.
There are two varieties growing, 
the long purple (Japanese) and Diamond.
Scrumptious!

milkweed seeds

Although I tried to locate them,
the four Monarch chrysali could not be found,
although I know that all four caterpillars grew to adult size.
It's probably too late in the summer to count on any more
making it to that stage. 
Hopefully, next spring and summer, 
we will have many to enjoy.


Look at this amazing spinner I found yesterday.
S/he was dangling from the maple tree
and appeared to be suspended in mid-air!


 This week, Big K and I were finally able to go and pick up
some free mulch, offered by our county.
This will be used in flower beds and underneath trees,
once we get our layer of newspapers laid down.


zinnia



The new rain gauge I got for my  birthday a couple of weeks ago,
has regretfully not had much use.
We are dry, dry, dry,
but ever hopeful that rain will grace our garden.

I'll be taking some time off from blogging,
but will be back here next week for Garden Friday.
Wishing you continued blessings...

8 comments:

  1. I just got a rain gauge for my birthday! What day was your birthday? Your garden looks very happy. I wasn't able to find any chrysalises either, but hopefully they're somewhere out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My birthday is August 16th. Happy belated!

      You'll know if you see Monarch hovering in your flower beds! So exciting!

      Delete
  2. Your luffa looks amazing. If you want a softer sponge and an easier to harvest luffa harvest when they're yellow and slightly turning brown. The skin will peel off like a banana and the sponge will be amazing. Your garden also looks amazing and those beans - I grew the chinese noodle beans a few years ago and loved them. So easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the tip about the loofah. I will harvest one this weekend at that stage and see how easy it is.

      I think I will be growing beans forever...

      Delete
  3. Wow - you've had quite the harvest with so much goodness coming to an end! I may have missed it in a previous post, but did you ever try eating the loofah when they were small? I was curious as to what you thought of them if you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't try the loofah as squash, but maybe next year. I really just wanted to let them do their thing this year and they are going to be a fundraiser for our local Community Garden.

      I think you'd love growing it.

      Delete
  4. I haven't visited in a long time but am glad I dropped by. Your garden is amazing! You must have gotten the right amount of rain this summer. The t-shirt sling is a great idea. I really envy your okra. My saved seed must have dudded out because I didn't get one plant after three plantings. Some years are just like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, each year is different, for sure.

      I'm glad we could put to use the cotton rags we had in our bin for something else.

      So happy you stopped by! Don't be a stranger!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!