Friday, September 22, 2017

Garden Friday






 Welcome to Garden Friday
on this first day of autumn!
Without a doubt, my favorite season,
I look forward to experiencing a true fall here 
in our new home in the Piedmont area of North Carolina.



We've been on the dry side for a while now,
which is why I was so surprised to see the lettuce take off!


Three varieties of lettuce have started to fill out their containers.


 Looks like we'll soon be picking our salad greens for lunch!
A few new six-packs have been started,
so that we can harvest greens all fall and winter long.


Six weeks ago, I sowed these Slenderette green beans.
The flowers are telling me that they will soon be making beans.
Oooh, I can hardly wait to eat some of those sauteed in butter.
I may even try pickling some so that we can enjoy them even longer.


The broccoli is making progress
in the 5-gallon pot.
There will be more sown in the straw bale garden later on.
Broccoli is one crop that will continue to do well during our mild season.


This is the first time I'm attempting Brussels Sprouts.
Some space may be saved in the straw bale garden for a couple of these.


 The Detroit Supreme Red beets are germinating fine,
but something has been bothering them in the pot.
See how they look flattened down?


It must be the same culprits who dig holes in the dirt of the pots.
Squirrels, most likely, burying their acorns for winter.
I need to make sure I have shade cloth to cover the pots next season.


 The straw bale garden is awaiting planting.
I got kind of behind on the conditioning,
so we may just attempt to plant and see what happens.
They have gotten plenty of water
and I recently purchased blood meal to use during the conditioning period.
I'm hoping to sow these by the end of the month.


 It's hard to believe it's already autumn.
We still have lots of color outside
and warm days.


 Fall is the perfect time to reflect on the past year
before the madness of the holidays hits.
We've been in North Carolina for going on 10 months
and it feels like we are where we belong.

spring blooms in autumn


 This fantastic bird feeder I got for my birthday last month
has been such a treat.
The birds use it only occasionally,
the squirrels are perplexed by it,
but I get to enjoy it each and every day.


May your autumnal season be filled with peace and joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!