Monday, April 2, 2012

Blue Light Special



Autism Awareness Day

This blog is not about autism. 
This blog is autism.
Although I don't often talk about how autism affects
each and every moment of our waking life,
it is always there, like a constant companion.
We have been immersed in the highs and lows of it,
been through all the stages of anger, grief,
frustration, and helplessness,
and landed in a place of choosing to simply embrace it.

Having unraveled the truth of our family's destiny,
I have come to realize what a blessing
our lives are because of autism,
not in spite of it.
Autism did that.


My boy is my greatest teacher. 
Grateful doesn't even come close to describing how I feel about this amazing person
with whom I've been blessed to share my life.
There have been so many struggles along the way,
but through it all, he's taught me more about
myself than all those philosophical books
I read back in my 20's and 30's.
Experiential learning sticks.
Autism did that.


I never thought I was a strong person. 
Growing up, I was the only person in my family
who ever seemed to cry.
Always bawled during Lassie.
Talk about sensitive!
I've come to realize that it doesn't mean
that you're weak if you cry.
It shows how strong you are that you can
face and express your feelings. 
Autism did that too.


Having been through so many tough experiences with
Lil' Guy has made me stronger than I ever thought I could be.
There's nothing like someone messin' with your baby
to bring out the Momma Lion in you.
And so, this once 7 pound, 11 ounce bundle of cuddliness
has shown me exactly what I'm made of.
And all that I can be.
I'm evolving right along with him.
And this blog reflects that evolution.
Autism quietly but profoundly did that.





If just one person reads this and becomes
more compassionate, more understanding
and less judgemental about a child with autism,
it's a worthwhile endeavor.
We are still given looks of judgement or stared at on occasion.
The difference is, that because of taking this journey,
I no longer care what other people think of us.
They're not living the life.
The bonus is that it's helped me to be that much more
compassionate and caring about other people
with differences, whatever they may be.
Autism did that and so much more.




Although I don't agree with some of the positions
of the Autism Speaks organization,
I appreciate them bringing more awareness to the world
with their "Light It Up Blue" campaign.
We'll be switching out our porch light again this year
for the month of April,
and buying a few more bulbs for others to share.

If you don't currently know someone on the autism spectrum,
just wait a while.
With 1 in 54 boys being diagnosed,
it's inevitable.



For more information on autism,
click on these links:







8 comments:

  1. May our Lord Jesus continue to give you the grace, wisdom and strength needed to continue caring for the special gift He has graciously allowed you to raise and be apart of. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad your little guy got you for a momma. I've seen first hand the struggles involved in raising a child with autism.
    There has been such a dramatic rise in the number of cases. I only wish we knew WHY........

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Lil' Guy is so fortunate to have you as his mama :) My niece has Prader Willi syndrome, and she is just the most precious thing to our family. When her & her family come over here to visit & we are out & about, I am very aware of how others perceive her, and I'm so glad that she isn't old enough yet to really see it. If they only knew what a great kid she was. I'm sure you know exactly (& more so!) what I mean :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clint Baker-Thank you for the blessings. I'll take all I can get!

    Sue-Thanks for the sweet words. There are as many reasons as there are children who are affected.

    katy-Bless you for being supportive of your niece and her family. You are good people!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully said! Your 'lil guy is very lucky to have you as his mommy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan-Thank you. Believe me, it is me who is blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Daisy,
    I came to your blog via Your link ups in ABFOL but have discovered so much more! Our two boys have mild aspergers and mild atypical diagnosis but like you I count myself as blessed and equipped by a stronger hand on the journey. Ps I love that LEGO features just as strongly in your household! Cheers, Fiona in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Fiona! Hope you will find helpful info here. Continued blessings...

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!