Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Wednesday Pickins

Each day is begun with a brisk walk
around the neighborhood.
Wednesday is our designated day for garbage,
recycle and yard waste pick up.

It never ceases to amaze me what people consider trash.
Here's some stuff I found this morning...





Just a few doors down a neighbor was throwing these out.
They are the cleanest black pots I have ever picked up!
My farmer friend, Debbie, at Barefoot Gardeners
is always needing pots for her plants.
Off they go...





These are self-watering containers,
which can be pretty pricey if  you buy them new.
I've sworn off buying new plastic pots,
but I don't mind recycling these.
They were destined for the landfill
and now they will have a new purpose.
Other than a little dirt, they are in perfect condition.





Books in the recycling bin are just too tempting for me.
These will be donated to the local library book store for resale.



It just irks me that folks are willing
to throw things away that are still useful. 
There are so many households here who don't even
put out recycling bins.
It's enough to drive a gal crazy.
I guess I'm a born picker, but where do these people think
all of this stuff is gonna end up?

Simply put, take only what you need and use it well.


It is great wealth to a soul
to live frugally with a contented mind.





9 comments:

  1. I would have grabbed those up in a second too! We are a very wasteful society. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you. It pains me to see perfectly usable items out for garbage pickup. It really doesn't take that much extra time to drop things off at Goodwill or the library. It's definitely worth the extra effort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said...I am so guilty of buying more than I need. I love the quote at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane-You are a master of repurposing!

    Susan-You're so right. There are many people in need.

    Lemon Lane Cottage-Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great finds! I would have probably kept those books for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to live in a town that had a once a year bulky items pick-up. Oh, the trash picking that went on the night before. Lines of pick-up trucks scanning for goodies. I'm always glad to see people put things to use. You got some goodies there indeed!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sue-Yes, pass it along is what we do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What wonderful finds, good for you for rescuing them. I wish that our city would have a once a season event where people could put their no-longer-wanted items out and others could come along and get them. It pains me too to see good stuff on its way to the dump.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!