▼

Friday, October 2, 2026

Homestead Happenings

 


Welcome to Homestead Happenings,
our feature where we share what's been
going on here on our Piedmont Zone 8A property.
Having been pup sitting for a bit,
there wasn't much chance to garden here at home,
but things are humming along nicely.
Earlier in the week,
I tweaked my lower back,
and recuperation didn't lend itself to anything strenuous.
Things are better now,
and I hope to be back up and in full vigor by the weekend.
It felt triumphant to be able to again 
walk the neighborhood without any discomfort.


Some of the beds are about done,
and some will be replanted with fall crops.
This (lower) bed full of lemon balm
never stopped growing, even through
our severe drought this summer.
Good to know there will be enough tea
to get me through some chilly days!


As vigorous as this pumpkin vine looks,
we have only a few gourds to show for it.
I figured I might as well leave it growing,
and maybe we'll get a handful more before Thanksgiving.


The loofah hasn't done much either,
but we do have a smattering hanging on the trellis.
The drought really made it difficult this season,
but we'll be grateful for whatever we can harvest.


The turmeric seemed unbothered by the heat
and lack of precipitation.
It will be harvested and the roots given away.
I have plenty growing elsewhere in the ground.


The first picking of the new lettuce happened this week.
There's nothing like fresh greens from the garden.
More lettuce has been sown,
along with beets and kale.
These will be succession sown over the next month or two.


This bed was prepped for garlic sowing later this month.
The tarp will keep the sun off of the bed,
which should kill any weeds or other plants from creeping in.
This will be a new location for garlic,
and I'm curious to see how it does.
My garlic harvest over the last 3 years has been less than ideal.


We had a pleasant surprise this week!
The babies (Wyandottes) started laying!
Their eggs are tiny compared to the older girls,
but they will grow in size with time.
Each of these mini eggs is about half the size
of a standard egg.
The Wyandottes lay brown eggs,
while the four Olive Eggers lay green.


Fresh milled flour is still being used for 
all of my bread products.
I'm looking forward to Sunday,
when it is supposed to rain all day long.
Rainy days just put me in the mood to bake.
I'm thinking I might try scones next!


All of the following pictures reflect my
utter fascination with Monarch caterpillars.
They are such magical creatures and 
I never tire of watching their magnificent transformation.
There are at least a half a dozen out in our 
front porch bed,
and I find myself checking them each morning
when letting the chooks out.
I hope you have some milkweed growing
so that you can be mesmerized by these captivating creatures!





Two for one!






5 comments:

  1. I saw a Monarch butterfly yesterday and thought of you. We see them so rarely! Your caterpillar pics are really nice.

    I had some disappointing harvests for some things too, but mine was thank to ground hogs. I planted my sweet potato squash in to different places and one produced only one small squash, while I've gotten more than a dozen in a variety of sizes from the other!

    Puppies (and kittens) do have a way of disrupting the normal routine, :) My current challenge is computing, because somehow the message "stay off the keyboard" is not getting through.

    Do take care of yourself. Make sure your back gets plenty of rest! Our bodies definitely get more challenging as we get older.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Milkweed will bring more Monarchs to your area.
      I guess we just have to be thankful when we can get to the harvest before the critters!
      I am doing much better, and am intentionally moving a bit slower to protect what I've gained back. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Oh I just love all your "happenings!" Keep up the good work. I hope you get to bake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoy these posts. Baking is on the agenda! Enjoy your weekend.

      Delete
  3. Hooray for eggs from your Wyandottes! I'm glad your back is doing better. I know it's easy to tweak mine, the older I get. We had our share of sad harvests this year too, with some successes. While prepping some basil I harvested this week, I found a caterpillar in the J shape underneath one leaf. Yikes! I rushed it back out to the garden, and propped the cluster in one of the basil plants. It did make a chrysalis, so I'm hoping it'll make it. Your cats look very happy. Lemon balm tea is a favorite in the cooler months, as well as cold, mixed with lemongrass and lemon verbena in the summer. Good stuff! The lettuce looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!